Mobile home in 55 and older community in Pleasant Hill destroyed by fire Tuesday night.
FileInclude:Normal, /csp/cms/sites/rg/assets/includes/meta01.csp?get=title Mobile home in 55-and-older community in Pleasant Hill destroyed by fire Tuesday night | Local | Eugene, Oregon#./FileInclude:Normal, /csp/cms/sites/rg/assets/includes/meta01.csp?get=title, took .000211 FileInclude:Normal, /csp/cms/sites/rg/assets/includes/meta01.csp?get=description /FileInclude:Normal, /csp/cms/sites/rg/assets/includes/meta01.csp?get=description, took .00013 FileInclude:Normal, /csp/cms/sites/rg/assets/includes/meta01.csp?get=keywords /FileInclude:Normal, /csp/cms/sites/rg/assets/includes/meta01.csp?get=keywords, took .000705 FileInclude:Normal, /csp/cms/sites/rg/assets/includes/head01.csp [if (lt IE 9) & (!IEMobile 7)]> <link href="http://static.registerguard.com/respond-proxy.html" id="respond-proxy" rel="respond-proxy"> <link href="http://registerguard.com/respond.proxy.gif" id="respond-redirect" rel="respond-redirect"> <![endif] [BEGIN] Syncronex [END] Syncronex [BEGIN] OpenX [END] OpenX [BEGIN] Chartbeat [END] Chartbeat [BEGIN] Mather Listener [END] Mather Listener /FileInclude:Normal, /csp/cms/sites/rg/assets/includes/head01.csp, took .004924
PLEASANT HILL — A resident of a mobile home park for people 55 years and older escaped injury when his manufactured home was destroyed by fire Tuesday night.
A park assistant manager has established an online funding site to help the man.
FileInclude:Normal, /csp/cms/sites/rg/assets/includes/rectangle01.csp //////////////////// Medium Rectangle 1 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Ken Shewell, 70, has lived in the Bella Casa Mobile Home Park on Edenvale Road for 15 years. He said he dozed off Tuesday night with a fire burning in his fireplace, and when he awoke about 9 p.m., a log had fallen out onto the floor.
Almost immediately, the mobile home was engulfed in flames, after igniting a nearby wicker basket “and then just taking off like a shot,” Shewell said.
“Luckily, I got me and my dogs out, but I lost everything I own,” Shewell said Wednesday. “I don’t have anything. I lost everything, it burnt up.”
Along with Shewell, his four dogs, one bird and a cat escaped without injury. Three other birds are unaccounted for, according to mobile home park assistant manager Karen Reimer, who said she’s hopeful that they flew away safely.
Shewell owns a fifth-wheel trailer that he can live in for the time being, Reimer said. The trailer has been moved into one of the park’s open RV spaces.
FileInclude:Normal, /csp/cms/sites/rg/assets/includes/rectangle02.csp //////////////////// Medium Rectangle 2 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
But Shewell has 30 days to get his burned-out home out of the park space, or he’ll face paying for two lots — something he can’t afford on his fixed income.
Reimer has started a GoFundMe page for Shewell, in hopes of collecting $3,500 in donations.
The local chapter of the Red Cross helped out with immediate needs, including clothing and medications, but Shewell will need a lot more help to get his life back together, Reimer said.
“The Red Cross has been wonderful in getting him everything he needs, but it’s going to take about $3,000 to get (the mobile home) out of the park,” Reimer said.
Shewell also needs clothing, bedding and other household items, she said.
Those wishing to donate may visit www.gofundme.com/urwrcyjw.